Year 6 Transition Information
You can view our transition booklet here
There is a lot that you can do at home to support their move to year 7. Often, the simple conversations and activites involved in preparing for the new term will help the young people gain confidence about the next step in thier future. With this in mind, we have put together a simple checklist about what can be done on a practical level through the summer break to lessen anxieties and so that uncertainties become familiar and manageable:
- Help your child to gather together the necessary equipment (please see our list of essentials below)
- Students will be aware that they will need to manage their time to ensure homework is done. Organisation is the key to successful study habits – have you given thought to where your child will study at home and where they will store their things for school?
- Rehearsing travel routes and plans will alleviate many worries. See our section on bus routes and expectations. Alternatively, walk the route to school with your child, timing how long it will take and which is the safest route to take, avoiding areas where the pavement does not exist.
- Make sure you and your child are aware of what will happen on the ﬁrst day. Run through this together a number of times, so that your child will know the expectations.
- Strong waterproof school bag
- A scientiﬁc calculator
- A pencil case containing the following:
- Pens and pencils
- Coloured pencils
- Pencil sharpener
- Glue stick
- Paper scissors
Free School Meals
Cornwall Council believes that when children eat better, they achieve better. Their Free School Meals Team are aiming to go paperless in the near future. As such they would like all new claimants to apply for Free School Meals online using the Cornwall Council website.
Applying on-line is not only simpler but a quicker route for parents to apply. Paper applications can take up to 10 working days to process, whereas on-line applications will be processed within 3 working days (normally the same day if submitted before 12 noon).
Please apply by using this link: www.cornwall.gov.uk/schoolmeals
Frequently Asked Questions
Monday - Thursday: 8:30 am - 5 pm
Friday: 8:30 am - 4 pm